Merchant Warehouse has been involved in merchant services and payment processing since 1998. As a result we are priviledged with a unique inside look at the power of credit and the responsibilites associated with it. We hope to leverage our position to provide useful resources and educational articles for consumers, business owners, point of sale developers, and all other individuals that are involved in the credit card processing transaction. The following resource article was developed to aide individuals looking for additional information on the various types of identity theft that exist today, as well as provide resources for individuals that are looking for specific information on any particular type.
Financial Identity Theft – Financial identity theft is the crime of stealing personal identifying information, such as a bank account number, for the purpose of using that information fraudulently.
Criminal Identity Theft – Criminal identity theft occurs when an imposter, posing as another person, provides law enforcement with another person’s identifying information during an investigation or arrest to avoid prosecution.
Identity Cloning – Identity cloning is a type of fraud in which the criminal assumes your entire identity and life, and is able to live as the victim, get married, work, pay taxes and possibly commit crimes.
Business or Commercial Identity Theft – Business or commercial identity theft is the misappropriation of the business or commercial enterprise, with the objective of using the financial status of a business to open financial accounts, obtain credit or transact unauthorized business deals.
Identity Theft Laws and Fraud
- Identity Theft and Identity Fraud: Basic description of identity fraud, common ways a criminal performs identity theft crimes, and examples and information on how to prevent yourself from becoming a victim.
- Advice on Identity Theft: List of tips to help people using checks, credit cards, and other personal items from becoming a victim of identity theft.
- Minimize Your Risk of Identity Cloning: Precautions people can take to avoid identity theft crimes and tips to reveal if you are at risk.
- Suspicious E-mails and Identity Theft: Customer warnings issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), warning consumers about criminals attempting to gain access to their financial information.
- Testimony to Combat Identity Theft: Oral and written testimony by Ms. Linda Foley regarding the crime of identity theft and the senate bill of 1742 and 1399 and its association with identity theft.
- Driver License Fraud Information: The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor vehicles informs drivers about identity theft and driver license fraud and information on how victims can seek help.
- Identity Theft Information: Tips on how to protect yourself from becoming a victim of identity theft, common ways for thieves to obtain personal information, warning signs that you may become a victim, and what to do if someone steals your identifying information.
- Data Security for Businesses: Compilation of documents and articles for businesses on how to keep their information secure and free of fraudulent activities.
- Online Brokerage Accounts: Learn how identity theft can happen and how to protect yourself online by keeping your personal information private.
- Safeguard Your Personal Information: Advice from the United States Postal Service on how identity theft or fraud can occur through tampering with packages or mail and how to avoid becoming a victim. [PDF]
- Avoiding Identity Theft: List of tips from the Department of Business and Industry on how to prevent becoming the target of an identity theft or fraudulent crime.
- Identity Theft Precautions: Article discussing the various ways someone can avoid identity theft at home, in the car, and when out in public.
- Eye on Identity Theft: Description on how identity theft is performed, the latest threats according to the Anti-fraud Call Center, and how the average citizen can stay safe.
- Identity Theft Laws: List of laws from the Washington State Legislature that focus on important laws regarding identity theft and fraud.
- Consumer Privacy and Identity Theft: Article from the Department of Consumer Protection that states skimmers and scanners used to obtain credit card information are illegal and victims have the right to sue for damages, effective October 2009.
- Identity Theft in the Workplace: Tips for employees on what precautionary steps they can take at work to avoid identity theft and stolen financial information.
- Internet Fraud: Information from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) on how to avoid various types of Internet fraud, such as auction fraud, non-delivery of merchandise, credit-card fraud, Nigerian letter (“419”) fraud, investment fraud and business fraud.
- Federal Laws that Protect Against Fraud: List of federal anti-theft laws from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
- Internet Fraud Variations: Advice from the University of Oklahoma Police Department on how to avoid fraudulent activities, such as credit card fraud, investment fraud, and other scams.
- Identity Theft Resource Center: Collection of informational articles and resources for victims of identity theft.
Identity Theft Organizations and Help Groups
- Identity Theft Assistance Center: Victims of identity theft can obtain assistance from the ITAC, by contacting financial institutions and the three credit bureaus.
- Government Information Technology Agency: Here you will find claim form links and credit report resources.
- On Guard Online: Articles on how to avoid scams, secure your computer, protect your kids online, and prevent being part of an identity theft scam.
- Social Security Online: Learn about the problems that identity theft can cause when someone steals your social security number and what victims can do to regain their personal information.
- Office of the Comptroller of the Currency: Consumer fraud tips, including the essential steps required to fight back against fraud.
- United States Secret Service: Investigation of credit card fraud, identity cloning, bank fraud, passport fraud, and other types of identity theft crimes.
- Identity Theft Program: Learn what it may be like to become the victim of identity theft fraud and review victim worksheets and other resources.
- Identity Theft Victim Kit: Online kit from the Attorney General Steve Carter that provides step-by-step instructions on how to resolve your identity theft case. [PDF]
- Identity Theft Victim Checklist: Review the warning signs that you may be at risk for identity theft and learn the steps required to clear your good name with creditors.
- Identity Theft and Internet Safety: Article discussing the risks, victim information, and ways to reduce the risk of becoming an identity theft victim from Internet scammers.