2007 was a phenomenal year for Merchant Warehouse and we have dedicated ourselves to sharing our good fortune with those in need. We honored this commitment with both time and money throughout the year.
Casual Friday Donations
Every Friday is Casual Day at Merchant Warehouse. In 2007 all employees were asked to contribute a few dollars each week to a local or national charity chosen by an individual staff member. Over the course of the year it added up to almost $13,000 given to charities focused on an array of worthy causes including:
- Organizations in the Fight Against Cancer, AIDS and Other Diseases: $5,006
- Organizations Benefiting Children: $3,842
- Women's Organizations: $1,712
- Organizations Battling Poverty: $1,507
- Organization Benefiting the Elderly: $674
- International Organizations: $1,959
Community Support and Activities
Merchant Warehouse employees have volunteered their time, energy, and skills in the community throughout the year.
- In May we participated in National Corporate Volunteer Day when we helped clean and renovate the Salem Boys and Girls Club to create new spaces which are both functional and safe. Our work there allowed the club to expand their hours to accommodate more children in the evenings and on Saturdays.
- In June we participated in the Corporate Challenge, a 5K race course, where we joined a crowd of 12,000 people who contributed $500,000 to the Waterfront Performing Arts Series.
- In September, we participated in National Public Lands Day. Volunteers from Merchant Warehouse worked at the Stony Brook Reservation in Hyde Park working to clean up the area and help give that part of the community a face lift.
- Also in September employees participated in the Jimmy Fund Walk, many of them walking the Full Boston Marathon course, to help change the odds for patients facing cancer. The MW team raised almost $2,000 towards cancer research and patient care.
- In December Merchant Warehouse employees became Frosty's Friends and gave gifts to the Children at the Somerville YMCA and The Guidance Center. Due to the generosity of the "Frostys" at MW, many children in need received personalized gifts they would not have otherwise.
2007 also marked the year that Merchant Warehouse began its course towards going Green. We began focusing on saving energy and using fewer resources around the office. We even installed a new fax system to help eliminate the massive quantities of paper being printed each day.
We also started a partnership with the Bonneville Environmental Foundation (BEF) to purchase Green Tags to offset our energy consumption and carbon emissions on a monthly basis. BEF offsets these emissions by replacing traditional sources of electricity with clean, secure, and sustainable renewable energy from across North America. Merchant Warehouse will be purchasing 433 Green Tags per year to add 433,000 kilowatt-hours of renewable energy into our power grids. That's the equivalent of avoiding 606,200 pounds of air pollution each year.
Thanks to the staff and to the tens of thousands of businesses who allow us to have, and share, our success!
All in all, Merchant Warehouse employees spent the year committing money, time, skills, energy, and strength to giving back, and we are extremely proud of the impact. We donated almost $20,000, committed dozens of days worth of time, lifted 1000s of pounds, ran and walked hundreds of miles, pulled hundreds of weeds, donated 44 gifts to children, and even saved some trees along the way!