Job Title: Principal Software Engineer
Department: Engineering, Belfast
Direct Manager: SVP Engineering
Manages Others (If Yes, # of employees): No
The Principal Software Engineer is responsible for employing a variety of transport and wire protocols to integrate capabilities to our payment partners systems. The role is responsible for working in a variety of different situations and types of projects, ranging from a team of one to a team of many. Our working environment empowers software engineers and lets them focus on the technical challenges of solving problems, rather than dealing with bureaucracy or inefficient processes, and the Principal Software Engineer is rightly recognized as a strong technical expert and leader.
- Understand merchant and partner needs, problems, and expectations and take action to address expectations through high quality, innovative solutions that deliver value to our customers
- Be an inspirational technical leader – train, mentor and motivate team members by setting an example as to how software development projects can be successfully executed
- Improve the software development process, methodologies and tools through applied experience, automation and simplification – deliver better software, faster and cheaper!
- Collaborate with team members to ensure that deliverables are technically accurate and useful in a timely manner – we build quality into all stages of the software lifecycle, with a focus on end-user observable (and testable) system behaviors
- Identify critical activities & tasks on projects, help with estimation and planning, ensure timely and accurate communication of status, resolution of issues, and contribute beyond assigned tasks - adjusting priorities when appropriate
- Assist with software deployment activities to internal test environments and our production data center – the team are responsible from Requirements Analysis through to Release!
- Assist with hiring (Interviewing, Screening) to help build a strong and successful development team
- Be proactive, self-motivated, attentive to detail, with the ability to work well under pressure
- Be a team player and role model, exhibiting a professional attitude, building work relationships, demonstrating flexibility and supporting workplace ethics
- BSc or MSc or equivalent in Computer Science or related field
- Experience in server product development
- Experience of developing in C++
- Experience with Design Patterns, Refactoring, OO Design and related areas
- Experience of Linux development
- Experience working in an Agile SCRUM, or Lean Kanban environment
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills
- Experience of mobile development
- An understanding of database design and development
- Experience of embedded Linux development
About Merchant Warehouse:
Merchant Warehouse is a recognized leader in payment acceptance solutions and merchant services. The company enables merchants, agents, POS developers and VARs to achieve strategic business advantage through the delivery of current and emerging payment, offer and program solutions and merchant services that dramatically enhance the merchant-customer experience. Merchant Warehouse is one of the fastest growing and innovative payment solutions companies in North America. For more information about Merchant Warehouse, please visit merchantwarehouse.com.
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer. We aim to provide equality of opportunity to all persons regardless of their religious belief; political opinion; sex; race; age; sexual orientation; or, whether they are married or are in a civil partnership; or, whether they are disabled; or whether they have undergone, are undergoing or intend to undergo gender reassignment.
We do not discriminate against our job applicants or employees on any of the grounds listed above. We aim to select the best person for the job and all recruitment decisions will be made objectively.
Please send all resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.