Job Title: System Administrator
Department: Technical Operations
Direct Manager: VP, Technical Operations
Manages Others (If Yes, # of employees): No
Merchant Warehouse is currently seeking candidates for a System Administrator role. This position will be primarily responsible for administrating all IT systems hardware/software and related infrastructure. The Merchant Warehouse Technical Operations team utilizes a wide range of technologies to provide IT services so we are seeking an administrator with experience in managing Windows Server, Linux and Virtualization systems.
This candidate should have a solid understanding of IT best practices with a focus on stability, security, performance and capacity. Based at our headquarters in Boston, MA, you will work with the Technical Operations Management in a fast paced environment.
- Install new servers; configure hardware, services, settings etc. in accordance with MW standards and requirements.
- Install and configure infrastructure applications.
- Manage and administer Windows and Linux operating systems.
- Develop and maintain operational documents - installation and configuration procedures.
- Strong knowledge of LAN administration.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Contribute to MW system standards and best practices.
- Research and recommend innovative automated approaches for VM provisioning and system administration tasks.
- On call to provide support services during deployment and off hours.
- Hands-on scripting – Powershell, VBScript
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying availability of all hardware, resources, systems, business processes, review logs, verify completion of scheduled jobs and log incident reports.
- Perform backup operations, ensuring all scheduled backups were successfully completed to the appropriate disks and sent to offsite per schedule.
- Perform regular archival of logs and purge as per the requirement.
- Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- Coordinate and direct preventative maintenance of major systems components.
- Demonstrate good judgment in solving problems as well as identifying problems in advance, and proposing solutions.
- Follow MW standards in logging change requests to all production systems.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis according to MW patch management policies and procedures.
- Test and upgrade administrative tools and utilities on a regular basis.
- Responsibilities require working evenings and weekends, if necessary, and on-call for maintenance and deployments based on the rotation policy.
- This individual is accountable for VMWare, Windows Server, and Linux systems that support 24x7 mission critical business systems.
- Bachelors in computer science or equivalent experience.
- Commitment to achieve 100% uptime.
- Five to seven years of experience in a Windows Server, VMWare/Hyper-V, Linux and Active Directory environment.
- Deep technical expertise and hands-on with:
- Windows Server 2003/2008/2012 administration
- VMWare 4.1/Hyper-V 2008/2012
- Microsoft Active Directory
- Microsoft System Center
- LAN/WAN security (hardware firewalls, anti-virus)
- Experience managing iSCSI SAN/NAS based storage arrays.
- Experience with network security such as certificate management in applications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to have administered Windows Server, Linux and Virtual systems.
- Ability to effectively prioritize, research problems, document, execute and manage tasks within a dynamic and fast paced environment
- Must be self-motivated and detail oriented
- Ability to work on a team and independently
- Required to lift, carry, and install computer equipment weighing up to 50 lbs
Additional qualifications a successful candidate may have:
- Knowledge and Experience of VoIP implementation and support would be a plus.
- Microsoft Windows Cluster/Multi-Site would be a huge plus.
- Preferred certifications: MCSE, VCP, ITIL or other best practice methodology.
About Merchant Warehouse:
Merchant Warehouse is a leading provider of payment technologies and merchant services. The company’s solutions enable merchants to more effectively connect and engage with their customers regardless of how, where or when they choose to shop. Merchant Warehouse’s flagship technology solution, the Genius™ Customer Engagement Platform™, supports both traditional and new payment types, including mobile commerce, from a single countertop acceptance device.
Merchant Warehouse offers innovative payment solutions that help online and brick-and-mortar retailers, as well as point-of-sale (POS) developers, value-added resellers (VARs) and agents, strategically grow their business. Merchant Warehouse is one of the fastest growing payment technology companies in North America.
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer. We aim to provide equality of opportunity to all persons regardless of their religious belief; political opinion; sex; race; age; sexual orientation; or, whether they are married or are in a civil partnership; or, whether they are disabled; or whether they have undergone, are undergoing or intend to undergo gender reassignment.
We do not discriminate against our job applicants or employees on any of the grounds listed above. We aim to select the best person for the job and all recruitment decisions will be made objectively.
Please send all resumes to email@example.com.